Manipal Institute of Technology
Manipal Institute of Technology or MIT is situated in the coastal town of Manipal in the Udupi district of Karnataka, about 400 km from Bangalore towards the west. It is about 65 km from Mangalore or Mangaluru, the chief port city of Karnataka.
Manipal is known as the University town because of the striking presence of a string of educational institutions founded by the late educationalist, doctor, banker and philanthropist, TMA Pai.
Manipal Academy of Higher Education (MAHE)
It all started in 1953 when he founded the Kasturba Medical College and the Manipal University (renamed later as Manipal Academy of Higher Education), followed by the Manipal Engineering College (renamed as Manipal Institute of Technology) in 1957.
Then came a chain of colleges, including:
- Manipal College of Dental Sciences (MCDS)
- Manipal College of Pharmaceutical Sciences (MCOPS)
- Manipal Pre-University College
- Manipal School of Architecture and Planning and Design (MSAPD)
- Manipal School of Information Sciences (MSOIS)
- Manipal Institute of Communication (MIC)
- Manipal College of Health Professions (MCHP)
- Manipal School of Life Sciences (MSLS)
- Manipal Institute of Virology (MIV)
All these educational institutions, including MIT, are managed by the Manipal Academy of Higher Education (MAHE) and their campuses are spread over an area of more than 600 acres of land.
Manipal Institute of Technology or Manipal Engineering College
Manipal Institute of Technology or MIT was established in 1957 by TMA PAI as one of the first self-financing engineering colleges of India. It was originally known as the Manipal Engineering College. In 1974, it was renamed as Manipal Institute of Technology.
MIT Manipal is a constituent institution of Manipal Academy of Higher Education (MAHE) and is located 3.5 km from the Udupi railway station. The MIT campus is spread over an area of about 200 acres, 1 km east of the Manipal Academy of Higher Education.
The institute is affiliated to the Mangalore University.
The college had a humble beginning with 25 staff members and an average of 120 students joining every year for the under-graduate courses in the initial phase. These have gone up to around 1000 and 9000 respectively.
Manipal Institute of Technology: Engineering Courses
Today, Manipal Institute of Technology offers admission to the following programs:
- All Bachelor of Technology (BTech) Programs
- All Bachelor of Technology (BTech) Lateral Programs
- All Master of Technology (MTech) Programs
The engineering streams include Computer Science, Electrical, Mechanical, Building Science, and Chemical.
The BTech program is for a minimum of 4 years (8 semesters), while the MTech program is for two years.
The courses are well structured consistently and the students are exposed to various student-friendly teaching methods. This includes case studies and problem-based learning, brainstorming, written tests, computer simulation, group discussions, industrial training seminars and projects.
According to the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF), the Manipal Institute of Technology Manipal has a sanctioned annual intake of students of 1860 for BTech and 514 for MTech. Whereas, MIT’s total actual student strength is 6402 and 294 respectively.
Manipal Institute of Technology Admission
For the admission to the courses offered by these institutions, the Manipal Academy of Higher Education (MAHE) conducts Manipal Entrance Test (MET) every year.
Eligibility & Admissions 2020
The candidates must have completed 10+2 / A Level / IB / American 12th or equivalent with Physics, Mathematics and English as compulsory subjects
Plus any of Chemistry, Biotechnology, Biology or any technical vocational subject as optional.
The applicant must also have passed the qualifying examination with a minimum average of 50% marks in aggregate in Physics, Mathematics, and one of the optional subjects
Students are offered admission under General or Foreign / NRI category based on eligibility and merit
- Foreign / NRI category seats are only available for foreign nationals/candidates with NRI status
- Or those sponsored by relatives with NRI status
- Foreign / NRI category seats are not equivalent to payment / management / reserved seats
Admissions are done on the basis of rank in the All India Manipal Entrance Test – MET 2020. The process involves:
- Manipal Entrance Test (MET)
- Department Test (DT)
- Manipal Entrance Test (MET) followed by Department Test (DT)
- National Entrance Tests
Foreign/ NRI Seats
Similarly, admissions for the Foreign/ NRI are done on the basis of marks obtained in the qualifying examination.
Manipal Entrance Test 2020
|Last Date for Application for BTech||31.03.2020|
|MET 2020 Online Test Slot Booking||06.04.2020-10.04.2020|
|BTech Common Counseling @ Manipal, Sikkim, Jaipur & Hyderabad||11.05.2020-20.05.2020|
|BTech (Lateral Entry), MTech- Last date of Application||15.05.2020|
|MET 2020 Online Test Slot Booking||22.05.2020-24.05.2020|
|MET 2020 Results||10.06.2020|
|Counselling @ Manipal||2nd or 3rd week of June|
MIT offers 16 programs at the BTech level
|Chemical||Electrical & Electronics||Electronics & Instrumentation|
|Automobile||Civil||Electronics & Communication||Mechanical|
|Biomedical||Computer & Communication||Industrial & Production||Mechatronics|
|Biotechnology||Computer Science||Information Technology||Media Technology|
1. Aeronautical engineering
- Deals with the design, construction, maintenance, safety and study of the science behind various aircraft and their components.
- Deals with the study of various engines and their construction, electrical systems, alternate fuels, safety, economics and quality of an automobile.
- Designed to develop the ability to work in a multidisciplinary environment involving Engineering and healthcare
- Offers a blended curriculum with multiple areas of science, technology and engineering focusing on research.
- Designed to impart both theoretical and experimental knowledge with the support of chemical Engineering laboratories with sophisticated equipment and a computer lab with software such as ASPEN, ANSYS (CFD), COMSOL.
6. Civil Engineering
- Focuses on planning and designing of industrial and residential buildings, hydraulic structure, water supply and sanitation systems and transportation infrastructure.
7. Computer & Communication
- Covers computer science, communication networks, cloud computing and big data analytics. Expertise in Computer Science (Software Development) and Electronics Communication focusing on mobile communication and computing.
8. Computer Science
- Computer Engineering, research and consultancy, seminar presentation, industrial training, guest lectures by experts, and various co-curricular activities such as paper and poster presentation
9. Electrical & Electronics
- Offers a unique mix of electrical, electronics and computer-related courses help you take up professional career / higher studies in related areas.
10. Electronics & Communication
- Exposure to the technology in practice and industrial environment, self-learning and development of communication and interpersonal skills.
11. Industrial & Production
- A program that enables the engineers to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of both manufacturing firms and service sectors.
12. Information Technology
- Focuses on complete software development life cycle, database system, knowledge discovery with a judicious blend of technical skills.
13. Electronics & Instrumentation
- Offers expertise in mathematics, physics, electronics, instrumentation, control and automation
- Well-equipped Mechanical Engineering laboratories, 30 faculty members with PhD, updated syllabus, advanced topics of technical relevance every four years
- Offers rich knowledge of engineering such as mechanical, electrical, electronics, computer science, instrumentation, & control systems.
16. Media Technology
- A unique scope to venture into media production, commercial printing, publishing and e-publishing, advertising solutions, designing and digital printing, colour management solutions, the software solution for the print industry, security printing, print finishing and converting, packaging solutions, machine manufacturing/service, research and development.
MTech Program: Key Points
MIT offers the following programs at the MTech level:
|Computer Science & Information Security||Construction Engineering and Management||Master of Computer Applications||Master of Technology||Aerospace Engineering|
|Automobile Engineering||Avionics||Biomedical Engineering||Chemical Engineering||Computer-aided Analysis & Design|
|Computer Science & Engineering||Control Systems||Electronics and Communication Engineering||Energy Systems and Management||Engineering Management|
|Environmental Engineering||Industrial Automation & Robotics||Industrial Biotechnology||Manufacturing Engineering||Microelectronics|
|Power Electronics & Drives||Print & Media Technology||Software Engineering||Structural Engineering||Thermal Science & Energy Systems|
Manipal Institute of Technology Fees
BTech Engineering Streams (General)
|Computer & Communication, Computer Science & Engineering, Electronics & Communication, Information Technology||17,06,000||13,48,000|
|Aeronautical, Automobile, Chemical, Civil, Electrical & Electronics, Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics||16,26,000||12,85,000|
|Biomedical, Biotechnology, Electronics & Instrumentation, Industrial & Production, Media Technology||13,10,000||9,85,000|
MTech Engineering Streams
|Avionics, Computer-Aided Analysis and Design, Computer Networking and Engineering, Computer Science & Engineering, Computer Science & Information Security, Construction Engineering & Management, Control Systems, Digital Electronics and Communication Engineering, Energy Systems and Management, Engineering Management, Environmental Engineering, Industrial Automation and Robotics, Manufacturing Engineering, Microelectronics, Power Electronics and Drives, Software Engineering, Structural Engineering, Thermal Sciences and Energy Systems||4,10,000|
|Master of Computer Application (MCA)||3,68,000|
|Aerospace, Automobiles, Biomedical, Chemical, Industrial Biotechnology, Print & Media Technology, Tribology & Maintenance Engineering||3,60,000|
Manipal Institute of Technology Ranking
- Accorded Institution of Eminence by MHRD, Govt. of India
- #1 private University in India by QS World Ranking 2020
The National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF)has ranked the Manipal Institute of Technology Manipal at 43 out of 970 Engineering Institutions in India in 2019.
Following are the accepted parameters for the ranking and the score allotted to MIT Manipal against each.
- National Institutional Ranking Framework
- The core activities of the Institute
- Score: 68.43/100
- Research and Professional Practice
- Excellence in teaching and learning
- Score: 20.68/100
- Graduation Outcome
- Effectiveness of the core teaching/learning
- Score: 53.91/100
- Outreach & Inclusivity
- Emphasis on the representation of women
- Score: 62.59/100
- Perception of the institution
- Score: 35.31/100
Other Features Include:
- Career-centric 17 BTech specializations
- Amongst Top 1 % of Technical Institutes in India (NIRF Rank # 43)
- Amongst Top 5 Private Engineering Institutes in India
- Wide range of Program & Open Electives, Scope for Minor Specialization
- Semester Abroad and 3+1+1 Study Abroad programs with credit transfer options
- Freeship & Merit-based Scholarships
- More than 90% of placements in the core companies
- 75+ Technical & Non-Technical Clubs, 20+ Experiential Learning Projects
- Technology Business Incubator (TBI) to promote Innovation & Entrepreneurship, 34 Startups (22 Graduated)
- Vibrant Campus Life with 9,000+ students with 50,000+ Distinguished Alumni
Capital expenditure & Operational Expenditure (Amount in Rs)
The data shows the level of the management’s commitment to improving the quality of educational facilities in the institute.
|Capital Expenditure on Academic Activities and Resources (excluding expenditure on buildings)||2017-18||2016-17|
|New Equipment for Laboratories||3,55,84,900||3,81,31,196|
|Other expenditure on creation of Capital Assets (excluding expenditure on Land and Building)||2,92,50,064||3,18,42,674|
|Salaries (Teaching and Non Teaching staff)||90,24,02,584||83,82,00,123|
|Maintenance of Academic Infrastructure or consumables, other running expenditures etc.(excluding maintenance of hostels and allied services)||79,63,12,577||71,69,60,723|
Manipal Institute of Technology Placements
For the academic year 2017-18, a total of 1711 students graduated from MIT Manipal in the minimum stipulated time.
Out of this, 896 students were placed in various companies at an average salary of Rs.5,50,000/-
In the previous academic year, the respective numbers were 1597, 902 and Rs. 330,000/-
For the postgraduate programs, 392 students qualified within the stipulated time and 37 students were placed at an average salary of Rs.500,000/- in the 2017-18 academic year.
In the previous academic year, out of 413 students qualified, 24 students were placed at an average salary of Rs. 349,000/-).
Manipal Institute of Technology Notable Alumni
- Satya Nadella, CEO of Microsoft
- Rajeev Suri, CEO of Nokia
- Anant J Talaulicar, president and CEO, Cummins India Ltd
- Arun Shenoy, Grammy award-nominated musician
- Mirza Faizan, founder and CEO of Avembsys Technologies
- Rajeev Chandrashekhar, Indian politician and multimillionaire entrepreneur
- M G George Muthoot, Chairman of Muthoot Finance
- Mahesh Shahdadpuri, founder and CEO of TASC Outsourcing
- Parvati Nair, Indian Model
- Pankaj Oswal, MD Burrup holdings limited
Manipal Institute of Technology Address & Phone Number
manipal.edu, Manipal 576104, Karnataka, India